The overall aim of WP5 is to influence the next generation of medicinal and process chemists by exemplifying cutting edge low environmental impact chemistry through the preparation and delivery of high quality training and educational material. The incorporation of sustainability principles into post-graduate and post-doctoral training will ensure that green chemistry techniques and practices become second nature to the next generation of scientists involved in drug design and synthetic process identification. The outputs of WP5 will also provide Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities for existing medicinal and process chemists.
WP5 will also develop a preferred sustainability metric toolkit to embed green chemistry principles throughout the CHEM21 consortium and evaluate and verify the green credentials of the research carried out by the project.
Specific Objectives of WP5 include:
- Development and dissemination of tailored educational and training material, case studies, and reviews to promote the uptake of green and sustainable methodologies amongst medicinal and process chemists and the European academic community.
- Formation of an expert network to drive forward the WP5 work plan, ensuring the longevity of WP5 outputs
- Identification of a preferred sustainability metrics toolkit
- Interconnect all work packages and embed green chemistry principles throughout via integration of the preferred sustainability metric toolkit
- Review and evaluation of the syntheses (gate to gate); environmental fate; and cradle-to-grave analysis of selected drugs
- Develop new, verifiably green synthetic routes to specific target molecules as defined by the EFPIA partners, as part of postgraduate and postdoctoral training
- Provision of support and guidance for the demonstration of the most promising transformations generated by the project at scale